Michael Ashforth / Senior Associate
BIntSt, LLB, GDLP
Michael is a specialist environment and planning lawyer with a particular interest in environmental licensing, approvals and compliance.
Prior to joining Botten Levinson, Michael was a senior associate in a top tier international law firm in Melbourne, working on major infrastructure projects, management of contaminated land and residential land divisions. Through secondments with BHP and AGL Michael gained unique knowledge of asset development and management, negotiation with regulatory bodies and incident management across the mining and energy sectors.
Michael also obtained experience in local government and planning at a prominent South Australian firm specialising in providing advice to councils, and as an associate of the District and Environment Resources and Development Courts of South Australia.
Michael focuses on delivering practical solutions. He assists clients across the firm’s practice areas and has particular expertise in:
- Environmental regulatory and compliance matters under State and Commonwealth Environmental legislation
- Sale, purchase and ongoing management of contaminated land
- Approvals and agreements for large scale residential land divisions
- Planning applications and appeals under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016
- Referrals, approvals and self-assessments under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Environmental licencing, permits and approvals under the Environment Protection Act 1993
- Water resources permits and licencing under the Landscape South Australia Act 2019
- Telecommunications Infrastructure approvals and the powers of carriers under the Commonwealth telecommunications legislation
- Authorisations, agreements and ongoing management of aboriginal heritage under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988
- Licences and leases under the Mining Act 1971
- Clearing and offsetting native vegetation under the Native Vegetation Act 1991