Syd McDonald / Senior Associate
Syd has been specialising in development and environmental law for over a decade and he has acted for corporate, private and local government clients throughout his career.
Syd operates across all practice areas of the firm but has particular expertise in planning, development and land use, heritage, environment protection and pollution and real property issues. This work includes:
- advising on a vast spectrum of development proposals, from residential subdivisions to frost fans;
- preparing and managing contentious and complex development applications, including advice on procedural issues with such applications;
- drafting representations and responses to representations relating to development applications;
- undertaking Code Amendments and related agreements under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016;
- appearing as an advocate before the Environment, Resources and Development Court in planning appeals, reviews of decisions made by planning authorities and civil/criminal enforcement related matters under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 and the Environment Protection Act 1993;
- appearing as instructing solicitor and junior counsel in the Supreme Court of South Australia in planning appeals and Judicial Review proceedings;
- appearing as an advocate before Council Assessment Panels, the State Commission Assessment Panel and the South Australian Heritage Council;
- providing advice on encroachment and boundary fencing disputes; and
- drafting land management agreements and Infrastructure Deeds.